PACEMAKER OR DEFIBRILLATOR (ICD) FOLLOW-UP
Regular follow-up checks of your pacemaker or implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) are an important part of your implanted device care. Some of the objectives of the pacemaker follow-up clinic include:
- 1) optimize the settings of the pacemaker to match your present needs,
- 2) maximize the battery life of your pacemaker and detect early signs of battery depletion,
- 3) monitor the underlying electrical disease process and accommodate changing pacemaker/ICD needs,
- 4) re-programming around pacer related problems,
- 5) stay abreast of pacemaker advisories and alerts, and 6) educate patients and family members.